Homecoming week calls students to get involved

Hallways are decorated with class colors and on Monday students were dressed in pajamas.

Homecoming Week 2018 has begun.

“This is one of my favorite weeks,” said Cherie Farrell, one of Craig’s paraprofessionals and a member of the Homecoming committee. “There is a great group of staff that works hard every year to make this a fun experience.”

Craig’s annual celebration of school spirit provides lots of opportunities for students to participate and show their school spirit.

“There really is only one way to have fun and that is to get involved,” said assistant principal Monte Phillips.

“We want it to be a week when (students) can all participate in the dress-up days, hallway decorating, door decorating, yell and scream at the pep assembly, and then at the end of the week unite as a school with their school spirit,” he said.

This week of spirit and activities is supported by the efforts of many clubs and organizations.

Besides the classes decorating their hallways and creating banners, many prides have decorated doors, and at least 15 organizations have painted windows throughout the community.

Over 20 organizations and teams will march Friday’s parade, including the band and football team, Teen Book Club, Spotlighters and Illuminations, Bee Club, cross country, tennis, volleyball, Blue Ribbon, GSA, and Pathways.

Glenn Disrude, former principal of Craig, will be the grand marshall.

“The parade has been a big hit with our neighbors and nearby schools.  The window painting has been very popular and something our local businesses support as well,” said Phillips.  

“We have received many compliments from people who enjoy watching our Cougar pride fill Janesville,” said Farrell.

One way that students show their Cougar pride is by participating in dress up days.

Each day of the week will see a different theme for students to dress up. Monday is pajama day, and for staff, alma mater day. Tuesday’s theme is country or country club, Wednesday is decade day, Thursday is color wars (9 green, 10 yellow, 11 red, 12 blue), and Friday is spirit day.

Seniors have their own dress up day themes, which is an annual concern for administration.

“A few seniors will wear something that is inappropriate or offensive,” said Phillips, “but (most) have come to understand that some of their dress for the week can actually be offensive to their classmates.”

The seniors are getting the message. “It’s not where we want it yet, but it is improving each year,” said Phillips.

Spirit Day ends the week with a host of activities. Following a shortened class schedule, the pep assembly starts at 12:40. It will include performances by the band, poms, cheer and New Edition. Classes will compete in tug of war, hula hoop, TP an administrator and spirit scream.

Craig staff who have reached milestone work anniversaries will also be recognized.

The assembly concludes with a pep talk from the football team and the announcement of the Homecoming court and king and queen.

After the assembly will be the parade and outdoor activities, which includes inflatables, and ice cream truck, dunk tank, powder puff football, DJ, face painting and tattoos.

“The inflatables have proven to be very popular with our freshman and sophomores, many who do not attend the football game,” said Phillips.

The festivities Friday night start with the burning of the J at 6:30, followed by the football game against Madison West.

The final event of this spirit week is the Saturday dance, which starts at 8 in the cafeteria.

Farrell invites everyone to come.

“All students are welcome to the dance,” she said.

Phillips added, “Freshman are welcome, and there is no restriction on who comes to the dance together.”

Plus, admission prices are kept low.

“The Homecoming tickets are priced so that they are very affordable, and we encourage as many students as possible to attend,” he said.

He expects about 800 students to attend the dance.

To Farrell, Homecoming is all about school spirit, and she hopes every student enjoys the week. “It is showing the community, staff and students how proud you are to represent Craig,” she said.

And while football is the main sporting event celebrated, it is also about “cheering all the other teams that are competing,” she said.

“We hope that they look back and say that they had fun this week,” said Phillips.