Counselor’s Corner

Counselors:

A-Dis.       Mrs. Osmond

Doa-I.       Mrs. Lehman

J-Mow.     Mr. Watson

N-Schum    Mr. Bryan

She-Z      Ms. Rudkin

Freshman Seminar students in both first and second semester will view a presentation and participate in a discussion about transitioning to high school, transcripts, and reviewing graduation requirements, as well as how to earn credits. The transcripts will reflect semester grades only, and not the grades shown in their progress reports. It is highly encouraged that students become involved in extracurricular activities, volunteering, and other work experiences to build their college applications.

Sophomore students will meet with their counselors in the next few months for their Sophomore Conference. Anyone who has not been scheduled or has not met with there counselor can stop in the student center and set up an appointment. In the conference, credit requirements will be discussed, as well as transcripts, recommendations for junior and senior year and post-high school plans. Current grades are especially valuable because colleges will be looking at grades from freshman through junior year.

Juniors will be taking the statewide ACT with writing on Wednesday, February 20th and on Thursday, February 21st, juniors will take the Work Keys, which is an employability skills assessment. The schedules for these two days can be found below:

Wednesday, Feb. 20: Juniors ONLY report to school and be in assigned testing rooms by 7:55. Breakfast will be available in the cafeteria before testing. During testing, students will be given a 15 minute break with snacks available. Testing will finish by 12:30-1. Juniors will be dismissed for the rest of the day.

Thursday, Feb. 21: Juniors report to their assigned testing rooms by 7:55. All other grades report to school by 12:10. Breakfast will be available for juniors and lunch will be served for ALL students at 11:40. The Juniors will test from 8:00-11:30. Afternoon classes for ALL students will begin at 12:15. There will be a shortened 8 period schedule.

Any questions regarding the ACT?  Contact Sherri Rudkin, Building Test Coordinator ([email protected])

Reminders: Cell phones are prohibited during testing on both days.

Scores can be used for college entrance. Students may retake the ACT on another national test date. Students planning on attending college on the east or west coast should plan on also taking the SAT. Free ACT and SAT test prep is available on KnowHow2GoWisconsin.org and PrivateCollegeZone.org.

2018-19 National ACT Test Dates

February 9th

April 13th

June 8th

SAT Test Dates

March 9th

May 4th

June 1st

ASVAB Test Dates:

April 10th

Counselors visited the Personal Finance classes first semester and will visit again for the second semester students to explain Career Cruising, discuss post-secondary plans, career goals, and graduation requirements.

It is recommended that all juniors go on a campus visit, a campus tour, and see an admissions presentation in the Spring of this year.

The Senior Awards Ceremony will take place on Wednesday, May 29th, 2019 at 6:30 in the Large Auditorium. This program is for students receiving scholarships and awards. Students receiving awards will be notified by mail at a later date. Any student who wants to be recognized for a scholarship that they have received from their college can turn in their information to Mrs. Severin in the Student Center by May 18th. The names of these students will be read at the end of the program and they will be asked to stand at their seats. Students receiving no other awards should understand that they would have to sit through the entire ceremony before receiving their recognition.

AP Exam Registration:

The AP exams will take place from May 6-May 17. Students can register online at www.TotalRegistration.net/AP/500955. Each exam costs $94-see the Craig homepage for more information.