Music Man is a showstopper

Over the course of two weekends, students from Craig and Parker performed the classic musical “Music Man” to packed auditoriums and standing ovations.

“I think the finished production is super cool!” said freshman ensemble member, Katie Kennedy.

This musical had its first performance two weekends ago, and its last performance this past weekend. Music Man tells the story of Harold Hill, a professor who comes to River City, Iowa. His plan is to con the town into organizing a boy’s band and sell the children band instruments, instruction books, and uniforms. As he starts to develop feelings for the librarian, Marian Paroo, he faces a difficult decision about skipping town. 

The show was double cast which allowed both Parker and Craig students to have a chance for leads and supporting roles. Harold Hill was played by Sullivan Saliby, a Parker senior, and Parker Rundquist, a Craig senior. Marian was played by Olivia Luster, a Craig senior, and Faith Green, a Parker sophomore. Other parts like Mayor Shinn and Tommy Djilas were also double cast with both Parker and Craig students.

The cast practiced diligently since the middle of September. Practices were usually held from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm. There were a total of eight performances over the course of two weekends. 

It was very amusing to watch each and every performer in the show. Each of the performers had a key part in the show, from the ensemble to the lead roles.

“I am really proud of us. I think our finished product is really good. We have all worked very hard for this,” said sophomore ensemble member, Cortney Baker.

The actors were flawless when delivering their lines, and the dancing was marvelous. One astonishing scene was during the song “76 Trombones”. There were flips, dancing, and beautiful costumes designed by Amber Hayes. The costumes were styled similar to the original time period and film.

This production was directed by Jim Tropp with music directed by Jan Knutson and Elizabeth Fischer, and choreographed by Michael Stanek and Carlynn Zahn Southard. The lighting was perfected throughout the show, which helped to bring it all together. Lighting design was done by Robert Mentele and Michael Palmer, a Craig freshman. The spotlights illuminated the well set-up stage by Aleskia White, Lily Rick, and Hannah Aegerter. The combination of actors, lighting, rehearsal, and choreography made “The Music Man” a show to remember.

Ken Forbeck’s take on the show:

The musical was definitely very well done with amazing technique. The dialogue and acting also contributed to the comedy of the musical, using irony efficiently through character actions and cluelessness, especially the clumsiness of Maude Dunlop. Though for some the musical may have been hard to follow in a few fast spots.

Along with the overall amusing performance, another mentionable layer of the musical pokes fun at the racism that comes with the old setting of the musical. 

This racism was shown in the first act with the performance of the Wa Ten Ye girls dressed up as Native Americans on the fourth of July. This scene seems to show the girls mocking Native Americans and ridicules the commonplace racism of the past..

The musical came together very nicely and showed the talent of our community actors. Their hard work paid off with an entertaining performance that definitely made it worth the time and money to both see and support.