Emergent Teacher of the Year

Miss Elisabeth Slotten

Craig High School’s Miss Slotten is the Emergent Teacher of the Year for the Janesville School District. This award is difficult to obtain, yet her marvelous teaching methods and strategies have caused her to earn it in under five years! Miss Slotten has taught here at Craig for a total of four years, accepting this job approximately a month after graduating from UW Madison. Miss Slotten has found her calling as a teacher and is flourishing.

Our fellow English teacher was nominated by Ms. Vander Zee.

“She is incredibly thorough. I think winning this was partly because of what I’ve done as a teacher, but also because when Ms. Vander Zee puts her mind to something it gets done” said Miss Slotten, “I often feel like I could be doing this whole teaching thing so much better, but this is really nice validation that I must be doing something right!”

Since the start of the 2018-19 school year, Miss Slotten has had significantly less recreational time, but when she does she enjoys playing trivia with her colleagues, on the team Teach Yo’self. She also takes in the pleasure of cross stitching, which is a nice and creative outlet for her.

Miss Slotten currently teaches English 10 Honors, AP Language, and a brand new course, Social Justice. She previously taught English 10, English 12, and English 11 Honors. She is also an adviser for Circles of Support Class of 2020 and the Adventure Club. She was recently named the girls JV soccer coach

As for as her feelings towards being a teacher, as most would expect by her extravagant attitude, she loves it! Miss Slotten’s favorite part about being a high school teacher is seeing how her students grow both in their education and as people, along with watching her students figure things out in their own ways.

Miss Slotten stated, “I have been incredibly lucky to have amazing students that inspire me, make me laugh, and teach me (hopefully) as much as I teach them.”

Miss Elisabeth learned a new philosophy at a conference that the school sent her to last February.

“Don’t limit students to my own imagination” – Miss Slotten.

This new philosophy has guided her teaching ever since.

In the short amount of time since Miss Slotten has become a teacher, the academic world has changed quite noticeably. Essays are no longer directly seen as a way to score a student’s intelligence.Because of the conference, Miss Slotten has taken it upon herself to stretch her point of view so that her students may express themselves in their best possible way.

“I have been blown away by what they have come up with. I would’ve never thought of half of the products my students came up with” stated by Miss Slotten.

Not only does she endorse creative learning, but she also goes above and beyond to be certain that her students know that they are cared for and have value. Miss Slotten has become the kind of teacher that students get excited to have for the year.

Miss Slotten hopes that her students speak of her in a positive way, just as she does for them. She hopes that she has helped them improve their reading and writing, realize something about themselves, and learn a thing or two about the world that surrounds them.

In spite of being awarded with a great achievement, Miss Slotten feels humbled by the whole experience. She says that she is the teacher, and person, that she is today because of all of the incredible teachers that surround her on the daily. Miss Slotten can’t believe that she is the one with her image on the homepage.

“I moved to Janesville fresh out of college, and I didn’t know a single person. In just a few short years my coworkers are like my family, so for them to take the time to nominate me is incredibly kind” – Miss Slotten.     

Through her teaching, involvement with the school, and building relationships with both staff and students, Miss Slotten has found her place here at Craig High School. Because of that many are proud to say that she is a part of our lives and education.