Phone Policy: Student Perspective

The cell phone policy is just one of the several newly implemented policies at Craig causing controversy among staff, students, and administration. The Criterion published an article revealing the wide support of the phone policy among Craig staff members. Student opinions on the new policy are more mixed and diverse than those of staff. 

Among the many supporters of the new policy is junior Noah Schwark who was thrilled to hear Craig staff were doing something about this big classroom distraction. 

Schwark said, “I was excited to hear about the phone policy because kids were on their cell phones in classrooms which really disrupted the work environment, so I was happy they were doing something to fix that.”

Junior Claire Rusert agrees that cell phones were a classroom distraction, taking away from teaching and disrupting the classroom environment. Rusert also believes the new phone policy has improved academic achievement.

Schwark has also noticed the change, saying, “The policy has helped me become a better learner and more focused in class…It seems to be working well; kids are on their phones less.”

While fewer students appear to be on their phones, that does not mean they are not using them. Sophomore Christopher Terry said that most students are not putting them in caddies or in their lockers. Instead, students keep them in their pockets or backpacks.

Talia Vanevenhoven agrees, “It’s just making people a lot more sneaky about having their phones out.”

Noah Schwark said that he “almost never puts it in [his] locker because it’s annoying to get to…It’s often in [his] backpack on silent.” Pointing out both sides, Vanevenhoven notes, “It’s good when you don’t have it out because you actually pay attention and learn more, but sometimes people need to use it for school stuff.”

The policy comes with its many drawbacks. For junior Jayden Leavy, the cell phone policy has not worked, and he does not mince words. “I think it’s stupid…parents should always be able to get ahold of their children and they can’t if it’s in a caddy or locked up somewhere…I think we should end the phone policy.”

Besides the drawbacks of not being able to use phones for instructional or recreational purposes, the policy has affected feelings of safety and transportation arrangements. Christopher Terry believes that it is important he has his phone for safety reasons.

Junior Maris Burks said, “If I don’t have my car, I have to try and find rides home and it’s hard if I can’t use my phone at all.”

Jayden Leavy even said, “I have had my phone taken three times and they kept my phone in the office for six days because my mom couldn’t come in and get it.”

The cell phone policy has prevented the necessary contact students have with family and friends and caused frustration among students. 

“I was kind of frustrated because I feel like I don’t abuse phone privileges so why should I be punished for it,” Rusert said. 

Markis Burks agrees, saying “Take me back to last year when we could go on our phones when our work was done.”

The new phone policy has sprouted controversy at Craig, but the impact on the school is undeniable.