Cheer Team: The Why

The Craig High School cheer team is more involved with the school than most students realize. Every one of them is held to a certain standard of commitment and time. Most have not cheered before, but they all come to long practices to learn what they need to know. The cheerleaders are involved throughout an entire football game, and also within the community. The Craig cheer team is directed by coach Rejeanne Lehron.

Rejeanne considered retiring six years ago, but the position as the Craig cheer coach needed to be filled. She came in initially planning to fill the spot temporarily, but decided to stay.

Coach Lehron said, “It’s been a great experience to work with Craig Student/Athletes and to help build this program into what it is today. I guess it wasn’t time to retire just yet because I love coaching Cheer at Craig.”

In her six years of coaching, Ms. Lehron claims to have never had as amazing a team as this year’s.

“We have a whole new team after losing 10 seniors last year… They are all super hard workers with great attitudes! They are willing to learn new things and be flexible with stunting positions” – Coach Lehron.

The whole cheer team comes to practice on time and gets out the mats and all other necessary materials without needing to be asked. They interact with each other in a way that keeps the energy of practice flowing. The majority of the cheer team is involved in things other than cheer, both in and outside of the school.

“The whole team comes to practice with a good attitude and we works really hard. We all want to be our best,” Deanna: cheer team member.

This being said, the cheer team does not necessarily seek more recognition. It is their goal to accomplish what should, and expand their team.

“We are not cheerleaders for attention,” said Coach lehron.

According to their coach, they all do more behind the scenes types of things that the school usually doesn’t even realize are happening. As cheerleaders, it is their job to do what is expected of them, to do the right thing, without an abundance of recognition. Their team motto is “one team-one spirit”. They do community activities and volunteering  in order to prepare themselves for life as an adult and to build character.

The cheer team is also inclusive, and invites special needs students to perform with them at basketball games.

“This is who we are as a Cheer team at Craig High School” -Coach Lehron.

If you would like to be a part of a team that learns more than just how to cheer, it’s not too late! The dates for mid season tryouts has been switched to October 15,16 and 17 at 5pm in the cafeteria. They are offering position for both the game and competition teams. Remember, it is possible to be on the cheer team and be involved in another sport.