2019 Daily Announcements

Wednesday, October 9

COMMUNITY/ACADEMICS:

• Attention upperclassmen, our first blood drive of the year will take place on October 10th.  Sign up for the Red Cross blood drive will be on the gym doors at the beginning of 300 hall in senior hall.  If you are 17, you can simply sign up. If you are 16 years old, you will need a permission form to donate. See Mr. Kealy or Mrs. Hanson in room 521 or L005.  Visit redcrossblood.org for more information.
  • Attention students!   It is recommended that you shut down your Chromebook at least once a week.  When you turn it back on, it updates the Google Chromebook Operating System and fixes many issues.  See Mrs. Pumilia or library staff if you have questions.
  • Purchase your yearbook at $60. See Mrs. Haberkorn in 709 for an order form or simply go online to jostensyearbooks.com.
  • The 2019 PSAT/NMSQT will be held on Wednesday, October 16th, 2019 from 7:30 am until noon  at the Pontiac Convention Center.  The PSAT is a practice SAT available to any 9th, 10th or 11th grade student.  Please stop by the student center for information on how to register and pay. See Mrs. Osmond in the student center with any questions.

COLLEGE/CAREER/SENIORS:

• Attention Students: Tech Exploration Days provide hands on experience in high demand careers.  Blackhawk Technical College invites you to attend and preview the college experience.  Events are open to all high school age students. The following programs will be highlighted on the following dates: Thursday, October 17th  9:00-2:00: Business, Education, Electric Power Distribution, Public Safety Thursday, October 31st  9:00-1:00:Auto and Diesel Thursday, October 31st  9:00-1:00: Agriculture and Lab Tech Programs-Monroe Campus. Please stop in the Student Center for a registration form
  • Attention Seniors: Are you interested in an Engineering Physics Internship with UW Madison?  The internship begins October 17th-December 12th every Thursday night from 5:00-8:00.  Applications close on October 3rd. Please stop in the student center for more information!!
  • Attention Students interested in learning more about the human body and are considering a career in health care. This program is for you!! Mercy Health Medical School for Teens will meet Mondays beginning October 14th-December 9th from 6-7 or 7-8 pm at Mercy Health South.  Cost is $30.00. Topics covered will include: Introduction to Medicine, Neurology, Pulmonology, Emergency Medicine, Musculoskeletal , Gastroenterology, Cardiology. For more information on registration, call 608-756-6100 or stop in the student center.

CLUBS:

• GSA meeting tonight 10/9 at 3:30 in room 524
  • New Edition will be having tryouts at 4pm in the moon.  They will go until Thursday after school.
  • If you are interested in joining the bowling club there will be a meeting on Thursday, October 10 at 7:30 at Riversedge Bowl.  If you are unable to attend please see Mrs. Meier before or after school in room 807.  
  • Human Relations Club will have our first meeting this Friday at 7:30 a.m. in room 613.  Please join us if you want to participate in Unity Through Diversity Retreats and other fun activities.  See Sra. Wyatt or Fernanda Cortez if you have questions.
  • Anyone interested in joining Christian Fellowship Club is welcome to join us every Tuesday morning at 7:30 AM in room 524.  The meetings are short so you can get to your first class on time, but if you have any suggestions for activities we appreciate hearing about them.

SPORTS:

• Congratulations to the Girls Golf team who placed 4th in yesterday’s WIAA Sectional Tournament, and congratulations to Kallie Lux who qualified for State yesterday.  Go Cougars!

VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES

TRAVEL/FIELD TRIPS

• Who wants to go to Europe this summer?  For 10 days you can explore the Swiss Alps, ride a gondola through the canals of Venice, bike around the streets of Germany, and much more.  If you’re interested, plan to attend an informational meeting on Wednesday, October 9th at 6:30 pm in room 100. See Mr. Elsen or Mr. Davis for more information.
  • Does Zip lining above the rainforest canopy, whitewater rafting, hot springs,and beautiful beaches sound like your idea of a great vacation?  If so, be prepared to attend a meeting on wednesday october 16th in room 521 at 6:15 with Mr. Kealy, Mr. Stuckey and Mr. Hammen to talk about travel to Costa Rica next summer.  The total cost for this 10 day excursion is $2400. We will provide an overview of the trip, answer any questions, and talk about how to sign up.

PAST ANNOUNCEMENTS

• Attention Juniors: The Wisconsin Start College Now Program, formerly known as Youth Options, allows public high school juniors and seniors who meet certain requirements to take post secondary courses at Blackhawk Technical College.  Approved courses count toward high school graduation and college credit. Applications are due on March 1st, 2020 for fall 2020 courses. Applications are available in the Craig Student Center and completed applications can be turned into the appropriate counselor. 
  • The Wisconsin Early College Credit Program, formerly Course Options, allows public high school students who meet certain requirements to take post secondary courses at a Wisconsin public college or a Wisconsin private college.  Approved courses count toward high school graduation and college credit. Applications are due on March 1st, 2020 for fall 2020 courses. Applications are available in the Craig Student Center and completed applications can be turned into the appropriate counselor.